Friday, May 2, 2008

Top 10 Xbox Games pt 2

#7 Tony Hawk Series

I couldn't narrow this one down to one game in the series so I included the whole set. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater has become the Madden of extreme sports games, but the one thing they do really well is add something fresh with each new game that comes out. One of my fondest memories of the early Xbox days was playing Tony Hawk multiplayer hours on end, and the funny thing was it never got old. The series got truly reinvented with Tony Hawk's Underground where the game become story driven, as you created your own skater and started out as a nobody in your own neighborhood and rose to stardom in the skate scene crossing paths with all the known pros in the process. In the earlier games you just went to each location and hit all the goals...there was no cohesion. Other extreme games have come and gone but Tony Hawk has managed to stay fresh enough to keep people coming back for more.





#6 The Burnout Series

Again this one cant be narrowed down to just one game, and again its all about the multiplayer on this one. Nothing compares to getting a bunch of friends together and playing the Crash mode, to see who can create the most carnage. While my wife may disagree there is nothing better than watching massive automobile pileups in video game form. While the multiplayer/crash mode is what lands Burnout on my list it does feature a very solid single player experience.








#5 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Never has a game series been so known for controversy as has Grand Theft Auto. While it may be best known for the fact that there is basically no limit to what you can do in the game, I think that is what makes the game great. Most mature adults can separate video games from reality, and games like GTA give us the chance to do things that we would never do in real life. GTA is made for adults and should be treated as such. And when you look at it from an adult perspective, you realize that deep down the game is a little tongue in cheek. The pure scope of San Andreas is insane it truly is a living breathing city. While the game has been attacked for its violence it really is the parents that allow their kids to play the game that should be attacked, not the game itself.




#4 Lego Star Wars

I don't think any game has ever came out of nowhere quite like Lego Star Wars did, who knew that the greatest console Star Wars game would feature Legos. I remember when I first heard about, I was like "I like Legos...I like Star Wars...This could be really cool" and oh how cool it was. The Star Wars universe has never been brought to life quite like it is here, none of the characters speak everything is brought to life through clever pantomiming and it is laugh out loud funny. And it really is something that everyone can enjoy (at times I have had to fight Sam over the Xbox because she is playing it), it also gave me one of the best moments ever...coming home from work one night I walked into to the sounds of a techno version of the Star Wars theme, I found Sam on the couch playing and she had just completed a puzzle and the Kamino Cloners were disco dancing to the Star Wars theme.....Im not sure I have ever laughed harder.




Stay tuned to find out the top 3....

No comments: